“Beardo” a new word that has come up as the trend of growing a beard has become a fashion lately. Face grows on almost every man’s face unless their genes are programmed not to. However, a fashionable beard or moustache doesn’t grow for everyone. The shape of the beard may not be right and for some, the hair on the beard may look patchy. If you are one of those whose beard doesn’t grow the stylish way you want and are dying to have one, facial hair transplant is your only option. Facial hair transplant, generally (or more often) refers to beard transplant. For some people, the hair in the moustache area also needs to be implanted.
Beard transplant – procedures
There are two popular ways of transplanting hair in the beard area and they are just similar to that done on the scalp.
- Follicular Unit Extraction – a latest and preferred way for transplanting hair on the scalp. Hair follicles are taken from the donor site with the help of a gun-like machine and then the hair follicles are separated and implanted properly at the recipient site.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation – Strips of skin (with hair follicles) are cut from the donor site after shaving the donor area. The hair follicles are removed from the skin patch and implanted at the recipient site.
Though the first procedure, Follicular Unit Extraction is the preferred way of hair transplant on the scalp, some cosmetic surgeons prefer to employ Follicular Unit Transplantation procedure for beard transplantation to get the fullness. This opinion may vary from doctor to doctor. You may ask any questions that might be having regarding the procedure or recovery etc.
Note: This is not a complex procedure or a highly invasive procedure. However, an inexperienced cosmetic surgeon may leave a mark or scars on your face if the beard transplant goes wrong.
Who is a good candidate for beard transplant?
If you are looking to get that stylish beard on your face through beard transplant, you need to meet some of the following conditions:
- If you are a smoker, you should either quit smoking or pause at least 2 months before the surgery. Smoking retards healing process in the body.
- You should not be on any medication that may come in the way of your healing or performing the procedure.
- You need to have good hair on your scalp – at least on the sides or back. If you don’t have enough hair, alternative therapies may be recommended by your plastic surgeon.
Risks and side effects of beard transplant
- Infection, inflammation and formation of pus – Just like any other surgery, there is a possibility of infection, followed by inflammation and oozing of pus from either the donor or the recipient sites, if 100% hygienic practices are not followed by the doctor. This is a typical scenario when beard transplant goes wrong.
- Such infections may leave permanent scars on the face.
- An inexperienced doctor may leave ugly marks or scars on the face and the implantation of hair follicles may not be even.
- Temporary numbness in the area can be expected but the sensation should return in a few days.
- The temporary bleeding and redness should go down in a week if proper prescription is followed during recovery.
What is the cost of beard transplant in Chennai?
Beard transplant cost in Chennai may range from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1,25,000 depending on the hospital, doctor and the area where transplantation is needed. You can fix an appointment with our plastic surgeon at Flood Gates Plastic Surgery Clinic, Chennai and once you are deemed to be a good candidate for beard transplant, you can check on the exact cost of the procedure.