Facelift surgery, also called rhytidectomy is done to improve the signs of aging in the face and neck of a person. As people age, following changes start showing up on the face and neck including:
- Sagging of skin as it loses the elasticity
- Formation of fold lines / wrinkles between the nose and the edges of the mouth
- Jowls on the cheeks and jaw (This will look like the cheeks are sagging on the jaws)
- Sagging skin and excess fat under the chin that looks like a double chin or just like the skin of a rooster under the chin.
Along with age, there are other factors that contribute to the aging looks of skin on the face including:
- Thinning of skin
- Losing body weight (by working out or due to a medical condition)
- Sun damage
- Smoking (typically smoking hampers the body’s ability to heal)
Facelift surgery can be done as the only procedure or by combining with other procedures such as brow lift, eyelid surgery, filling up of fat in the cheeks, dermabrasion or peeling of skin etc.
Limitations of facelift surgery
When you want to undergo facelift surgery from one of the best plastic surgeons in your area, you need to note that, the surgery can only erase some signs of aging and bring back the youthful appearance of face and neck and the skin on it. However, the over structure or shape of the face or any part on the face won’t change.
Facelift surgery is a surgical procedure. If you are looking for facelift without surgery or minimally invasive procedures, note that they cannot achieve the results of facelift surgery. Even the stem cell therapy for facelifting or face filling doesn’t seem to be much help.
Who are good candidates for facelift surgery?
When you talk to your plastic or cosmetic surgeon about facelift surgery, he/she will let you know if you are the right candidate. If you are looking to change the shape of your face and not just the appearance, you are probably not the right candidate for facelift procedure. Putting it the other way around, facelift surgery is not what you are looking for.
- You must have realistic expectations about the surgery
- You should be a non smoker or you need to stop smoking some months before undergoing the procedure.
- You do not have any medical conditions that can nullify the results or that make healing a problem.
How much does facelift surgery cost in Chennai?
The rough estimation of facelift surgery cost in Chennai is around Rs.2,00,000/- (Two lakhs). This will vary (either up or down) depending on what exactly you are looking for. In order to get the exact cost of facelift surgery, you first need to speak with your cosmetic surgeon. Usually, the cost of facelift surgery will include doctor’s fee, cost of anesthesia administered, medicines used during the surgery, medical tests that might be required before undergoing the surgery.
Is Someone offering cheaper facelift surgery services in Chennai?
Pause a bit and think why the cost of facelift surgery is cheaper. Check the facility / clinic where the surgery is performed, verify the doctor’s credentials and his/her experience in performing such procedures and then go through the negative reviews of the clinic / hospital to understand what problems other patients went through.
Note that it is the face that you will be getting worked on and if anything goes wrong, that can dent your confidence, cause stress and anxiety which can take a toll on your personal, professional and social life.
Risks of facelift surgery
With any invasive surgery, comes the risk — most common being the infections. Along with it, there are other risks of facelift surgery including:
- Anesthesia risk (Higher amount of anesthesia can even lead to cardiac arrest during the procedure. Everything depends on choosing the best hospital and best plastic surgeon for facelift surgery).
- Injury to facial nerves
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Changes in skin sensation
- Death of skin in certain areas
- Pain and swelling
- Totally unexpected and undesired results after the surgery.
Does insurance cover your facelift surgery?
There are two cases:
- If you are getting facelift surgery by yourself without any other medical condition or incident warranting it, your surgery cost might not be covered as it will be considered
- If you are getting facelift surgery as a part or due to other medical condition or because there’s been an injury etc, such scenario might cover the cost of your surgery.
If you are opting for facelift surgery at Flood Gates Plastic Surgery Clinic in Chennai, we suggest you check with our insurance department or your health insurance provider for coverage and limit related questions.