Follicular Unit Extraction is the preferred method of hair transplant over FUT. FUT stands for Follicular Unit Transplantation procedure wherein patches of scalp are taken from a donor site and moved to the target (hairless) area. In case of FUE, hair follicles are taken from the donor location and then implanted in the target location. The target area can be any part of the body but most often it is the scalp.
FUE is considered a safer procedure with less side effects and chances of infection compared to FUT. There may be side effects but that won’t last long. FUE is done as an outpatient procedure and can last from 2 to 10 hours depending on the area that needs implantation. With a little care after the implantation, you will be ready to get back to work in less than a week.
The cost of FUE in metro cities of India like Chennai may start from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 3,00,000/- depending on the area that needs to be covered, the expertise of the doctor who is performing the surgery. One can get FUE done by an experienced dermatologist or a plastic or cosmetic surgeon. The most important part of the whole process lies with searching for the best plastic or cosmetic surgeon in your city to get it done with fewer complications and quick recovery.
What is FUE hair transplant?
FUE stands for Follicular Unit Extraction. In this procedure, individual hair follicles are extracted from the donor site (where the hair already exists) and implanted in other areas of the body. Most often the target area is the scalp.
In case of FUT, a source or donor area is marked and the skin with follicles is removed and then the patch of skin is implanted in the target area. While this is a good procedure, the odds of infection goes up as the area removed is relatively larger and if the implant is not perfect, the final outcome may not look natural.
If you don’t have enough hair to remove, then you might not be a good candidate to undergo this procedure. Once the hair is implanted in the target area, the hair follicles start growing new hair and in about 10 months to a year, the hair would fully grow and look very natural.
What is the cost of FUE hair transplant in Chennai, India?
As said, the cost of FUE hair transplant in Chennai cosmetic clinics may range between Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 3,00,000. The cost varies depending on the following factors:
- The area that needs transplantation. Larger the area, the more the sessions, higher the cost.
- The expertise of the doctor and the hospital where the procedure is being performed. The cost would usually be higher at a multi-specialty hospital compared to a normal stand alone specialty clinic.
Note – Hair transplant procedure is cosmetic in nature and most often health insurance providers might not be covering the cost of the surgery. In case of any questions, it is always better to talk to the insurance provider prior to committing to the surgery.
FUE hair transplant procedure
- The scalp area will be made numb with local anesthesia. You will be awake during the implantation process.
- A special gun like tool will be used to extract the follicles from the source area.
- A different piercing tool is used to make a tiny hole in the target area and the extracted follicle is implanted in it.
- The area is cleaned of any blood and bandaged for recovery.
- Depending on the size of the target area, multiple sessions might be needed.
Dos and Don’ts before the procedure
- Quit or pause smoking. Smoking hinders the recovery process of the body from any injury.
- Avoid alcohol as this might interfere with the medications prescribed by your cosmetic surgeon before the surgery.
- You may have to stop taking blood thinners and supplements if any, you need to communicate to your doctor about the medicines that you are currently taking and you will be advised accordingly.
- Some people may be given some medications for a few days before the surgery.
- ECG and blood tests may be required by your doctor before the surgery.
During recovery from FUE hair transplantation
- Avoid contact with water and don’t workout for the first week after the surgery. Keep the scalp or surgical area as dry as possible.
- If you see any pus or any fluids leaking from the target or source site, get in touch with your doctor immediately. This can signal infection in the area.
- Follow the prescription strictly until the completion of the course.
- Avoid going to work for a couple of days and take complete rest.
- Avoid any cover to the head/scalp like wearing hats or any other type of clothing until your doctor gives a go ahead.
- Expect some hair fall during recovery and this is very normal.