What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a procedure in which the fat is removed (sucked out) from under the skin. This procedure involves making markings on the body where the fat needs to be removed. After marking, small incisions are made through which the cannula (a thin tube) is inserted into the body and the fat is removed.
Usually a plastic surgeon or a cosmetic surgeon performs this procedure and is done in the areas of the body including hips, belly, thighs, buttocks, arms, chest, under the chin etc.
What is coolsculpting?
Coolsculpting is a procedure similar to liposuction that is aimed at removing the fat from the body. In case of coolsculpting, there are no markings or incisions made. The surgery/procedure is based on the fact that fat cells die sooner than the skin cells when frozen, called cryolipolysis. The fat under the skin is frozen using special equipment that is placed in the targeted areas for 30 minutes to over 1 hour. As a result, the fat cells are destroyed while the skin cells and surrounding tissues are left unharmed.
The process destroys 10% to 25% of the fat in the targeted area. Depending on the amount of fat present and the amount of fat needs to be removed, multiple sessions may be needed by the individual. The results are not immediately seen. Some people may see minor improvement in the area after a couple weeks but it usually takes few months for the final results to show up. Reason being, the destroyed fat cells are absorbed by the body and the body takes time to completely absorb the destroyed fat cells.
In short, here are the differences between liposuction and coolsculpting
Similarities between liposuction and coolsculpting procedures
- For any of these surgeries, person should have good elasticity of his/her skin.
- Smoking is not advised. If the patient is a smoker, doctor would advice him/her to stop smoking much ahead of performing the procedure.
- Most often, neither of the procedures is covered by insurance (unless covered specifically) as they are cosmetic in nature.
- Neither of the procedures is an alternative to weight-loss procedure and must be resorted to as a last option when dieting and regular workout are not helping in losing weight.
- Both procedures are used to remove fat from under the chin, thighs, belly, hips, love handles, arms etc.