“Penis implants are not for everyone! If you are suffering from erectile dysfunction (defined as the inability to achieve and maintain an erection to perform penetrative sex) and if we (or your doctors) have tried all possible ways of treatment but to no avail, then you should consider penile implants” says Dr. Karthik Gunasekaran, chief of Gunasekaran Hospitals, Chennai’s popular multi-specialty clinic.
Penile implant surgery involves placing inflatable silicone prosthetics or inflatable rod like structures into the shaft (erectile tissue) of the penis so that the person can have an erection and perform sex whenever he desires.
Right candidate for penile implant
- Suffering from erectile dysfunction.
- Met with right sexologists and they (or we) have tried all possible ways of treatment.
- If you have developed scar tissue after a surgery or injury and if your penis is bent when erect.
If you have 1&2 or just 3 from the above conditions checked, you can consider going for penile implant surgery.
Penile implant types
There are two types of penile implants:
- Inflatable penile implants
- Non-inflatable penile implants
The type of penile implant to use depends on multiple factors including your overall health, the size of your penis, scrotum, if you had any surgery in your lower abdomen previously, the health condition of your kidneys etc.
Inflatable penile implants
Inflatable implants consist of two inflatable rods that are placed in the shaft of the penis. They are connected to a pump that is placed inside the scrotum. Squeezing the pump/scrotum fills the rods with saline solution making the penis erect. After sex, the saline solution can be pulled back into the pump. There are 3 types of inflatable penile implants:
- One piece inflatable – In this type of implant, the saline solution lies at the end of the inflatable rods (which are usually inside the abdomen).
- Two piece inflatable – The implant consists of inflatable rods and a pump inside the scrotum.
- Three piece inflatable penile implant – This is the type of penile implant that is used most often. This consists of inflatable rods placed in the shaft of the penis. A collection unit that contains saline solution goes inside the abdomen and a pump that goes into the scrotum. When the scrotum is pressed, the saline solution goes into the inflatable rods causing an erection.
Non-inflatable penile implants
Semi-rigid or malleable rods are placed inside the penis shaft. They don’t shrink or expand like the inflatable ones. All one can do is just bend the penis when the person doesn’t want sex. To make the penis erect, just straighten the rods. This may sound easy but three piece inflatable is the most preferred choice for patients as well as surgeons.
How long does a penile implant last?
Penile implant’s durability varies from person to person. Usually, they last for more than 7 years. In about 80% of the cases, good quality penile implants last more than 10 years after which they tend to fail. The person may go for another implant if he feels required.
Cost of penile implants in Chennai
On an average, the cost of good penile implants lies in the range of Rs.2,00,000 including the surgery cost. You can call our front desk for an appointment with Chennai’s top sexologist to discuss further regarding your erectile dysfunction problem and penile implants that are suitable for you.