Here are some statistics on hair loss:
- On an average, a human loses 50 to 100 strands of hair everyday and this is considered normal.
- After the age of 35 years, men start losing 40% of their hair and this gradually increases to 70% by the time they reach 80 years.
- Around 50% of women start losing hair from the age of 50 years.
- 95% of hair loss in men is caused by androgenetic alopecia (also known as male-pattern baldness).
- Over 60% of men will start noticing their thinning after they cross 35 years of age.
When people start losing their hair, there won’t be anything that they wouldn’t try to get their hair back. For some it may start with thinning of their dense hair, for some, they may see a receding hairline and some may start losing their hair at the centre more than the surrounding areas.
FUE and FUT are two popular hair transplant methods wherein hair follicles are taken from the scalp where there is good hair growth and transplanted to the bald area of the scalp. These are highly invasive treatment options and also the cost of FUE and FUT procedures are higher and some may not be able to afford the procedure.
PRP is one other procedure that medics believe helps in re-growing the lost hair. Though there is very limited evidence that PRP can grow the hair back, most medics believe that it can surely help stop hair fall and regrow lost hair.
What is PRP for hairloss?
PRP stands for Plasma Rich Platelets. In this procedure the plasma extracted from your blood is injected into the bald area of your scalp. Here is how it is done:
- Blood is drawn from your body (typically from the veins)
- The blood is then collected into the equipment of a centrifuge machine.
- During the centrifuge process, the components of the blood are separated based on their densities. Mainly, the blood gets divided into 3 sections: platelet poor plasma, platelet rich plasma and red blood cells.
- The platelet rich plasma is then separated from remaining parts of the blood and sent back into the body.
- The separated plasma is taken into a syringe
- Local anaesthesia will be administered into your scalp
- The PRP is then injected into the bald area of the scalp.
If you are thinking about possible side effects of injecting plasma into your scalp, you can be rest assured that this is one of the safest minimally invasive procedures. Reason being, the plasma that is injected is taken from your own body and your body doesn’t take any time to realise the same and accept it. If at all there are any side effects of PRP for hair loss procedure, that would be only when the equipment used (needles or syringes) used to collect or inject the blood or plasma aren’t sterilised. When you see a good cosmetic surgeon at a renowned clinic (such as FG Plastic Surgery Clinic in Chennai), you don’t really need to worry about the hygiene part of the surgery.
Cost of PRP for hair loss procedure in Chennai
PRP for hair loss procedure is done in sessions. You will need to undergo 3 sessions spaced at least 6 weeks apart to see good results of the procedure. Each session can cost you around Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 25,000 at good clinics in Chennai.
Once the regular sessions are done, you may be advised to undergo follow-on procedures after a few months and you can discuss this with your cosmetic surgeon. Note that, since hair growth and regrowth are considered cosmetic procedures, your health insurance provider may not be covering the cost involved in PRP procedure. You need to check with your insurance company before you commit to the procedure with your doctor.
How sure are you to regrow your hair with PRP procedure?
As per a study, here is what some researchers have to say “Although PRP has sufficient theoretical scientific basis to support its use in hair restoration, hair restoration using PRP is still at its infancy. Clinical evidence is still weak.”
You can confirm with your cosmetic surgeon about the same and also check if you are the right candidate for PRP for hair loss procedure.
Here are some frequently asked questions about PRP for hair loss procedure
- What is PRP for hair?
PRP stands for Platelet Rich Plasma. PRP for hair loss is one of the many benefits among what PRP can offer your body.
- How many PRP sessions are needed for hair?
At least 3 sessions are needed to see a considerable amount of hair growth with PRP administration.
- Does PRP work for hair loss?
Most cosmetic surgeons believe that PRP for hair loss works and helps in follicle regrowth and strengthening the hair strands. More scientific research needs to be done by the medical society on the procedure.
- Does PRP work for frontal hair loss?
PRP should be able to help in follicle regrowth on any part of the scalp.
- How much does PRP cost for hair?
Each PRP session for hair loss may cost around Rs.15,000 to Rs.25,000 and this will vary depending on the experience of the cosmetic surgeon you choose, the clinic/hospital where you will be getting the procedure done. Note that the cost may be higher while you are reading this, so, we suggest you call up our front desk or any cosmetic surgeon clinic near you to get more details.
- How long for PRP hair results?
Usually you can see significant results after the second session after the PRP procedure but the full effects can be seen after 5 to 6 months from the day of 1st session.
- Is PRP hair loss covered by insurance?
Most likely not. Cosmetic procedures may not be covered by your health insurance provider. You need to check with them regarding the same before you commit for the procedure with your plastic surgeon.