Most of you should be familiar with ‘Botox’ and some of you may have got the procedure done on your face. Similar thing exists for the scrotum – Scrotox. In scrotox procedure, botulinum toxin (Botox) is injected into the scrotum. Initially, the filler was used to treat Chronic Scrotal Pain (CSP) or any type of inflammation that doesn’t go away with regular treatment. However, those who got the scrotox started claiming other beneficial effects after the procedure including:
- Reduced wrinkles on the scrotum
- Less sweat around the scrotum
- A bigger scrotum (which is obvious and some men think it is more manly.)
- Sex being more enjoyable.
- Better erections in men suffering from Erectile Dysfunction
Facts about other effects of scrotox
Out of the benefits claimed by the recipients of scrotox, a couple of them were researched upon and found to be true.
- Injecting botox into the spongy tissue of the penis (called Corpus Cavernosa) helped in having better erections. Strictly speaking, this is not injecting the botox into the scrotum but into the erectile tissue of the penis shaft. (Reference – Botulinum Neurotoxin and Its Potential Role in the Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction)
- Injecting botox into the smooth muscles of the scrotum reduced the wrinkles. This is kind of obvious, isn’t it? When some filler is pushed into the scrotum, the scrotum expands, so does the skin on it. (Reference – Scrotal Rejuvenation)
This doesn’t mean that the rest of the claims aren’t true but there hasn’t been any research done on them.
Scrotox - the procedure
Scrotox is a very quick 5 minutes procedure done as an out-patient procedure. In short, here is how it is done:
- Your doctor applies numbing cream to the scrotum.
- He/she then makes markings on the scrotum where the filler needs to be injected.
- He/she then takes a syringe filled with the botox filler and injects them in the marked places.
- There may be little bleeding that will be cleaned up by your doctor.
That’s it and you are all set to go back to work or home. You don’t really need to take a break from work or your routine life. It won’t even take the amount of time you spend on filing the paperwork or waiting for your turn to see the doctor in some clinics. The only thing you need to refrain from is sex. Wait for a couple of weeks until the swelling or pain to settle down before you resume your sex life.
Cost of scrotox procedure in Chennai, India
Scrotox isn’t really an expensive procedure. The cost can range from Rs 10,000 to Rs. 20,000 depending on the doctor and the hospital / clinic. Your insurance may not cover it until you are getting it as a part of treatment addressing a medical condition such as Chronic Scrotal Pain.
Are there any side effects of scrotox?
Not really but in very rare cases, following side effects may be expected:
- Numbness that continues for days
- Swelling or bruising at injection sites
- Feeling of tightness and fullness in the scrotum
- Reduced sperm count.